Vehicle Registration Renewals in Florida
Owners can renew their vehicles for a period or one or two years before the expiration of their current registration.The renewal of registration can be done up to 3 months in advance before the expiry of the current registration.
Vehicle registrations expire on:
- the midnight of the birthdate of the first owner.
- June 30/December 31 in case of heavy vehicles.
The cost of renewing the registration depends on the tenure of the renewed registration, the type of vehicle, and the gross weight of the vehicle. The owners must provide either the license plate or the vehicle identification number (VIN) of their vehicle for re-registartion.
A delinquent fee is added to the renewal fee in case of owners failing to renew their registrations "beginning on the eleventh calendar day of the month succeeding the month in which the renewal registrations were due."
- Leased cars cost higher to register or renew "because of the taxing structure in Section 320.08(6)(a) Florida Statutes."
- Heavy vehicles such as trucks, truck tractors, and buses, or any vehicle in general with a gross weight of more than 55,000 pounds are taxed extra with "Heavy Vehicle Use Tax" (HVUT).
- Drivers of heavy vehicles must also carry with them a 'proof of payment' of HVUT or a 'proof of exemption' from HVUT, at all times.